Thursday, October 25, 2007

Oakland: BEA

Bea: 24, from decatur, Georgia, works at a library, teaches at the local elementary school, volunteers at a queer black youth center, and is active in Incite, an organization of women of color against violence.

"Recently, feminism is not the direction I see myself going—I am trying to be more 'gender-revolutionary.' I love women, I’m queer, but being in a lot of women-only spaces in the past, it was a feeling of pro-woman without speaking to masculine women or feminine men. I think feminism still doesn't quite know how to handle the trans community.”

Discussion Questions:
Question 1
Question 2

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel exactly the same way as a transgender woman. Feminism always seemed awkward to me because it was all "we have a vagina, we can have babies, therefore we are the same." I don't have a vagina and can't have babies but that doesn't mean I am not a woman. I am affected by many issues that "feminism" encompasses.

Anonymous said...

Violence is an issue I can definitely get behind. When I went to the Vagina Monologues, I was blown away. It is such an ingrained theme in our culture, and needs to be addressed more as a women's issue.

Unknown said...

Right On Bea!!!